5 Differences Between Traditional Fireplaces and Fireplace Inserts
July 19, 2023
If you are considering installing a fireplace or converting to a fireplace insert, this is the best guide for you. Comparing both options and the differences will give you a good idea of what's best for your home and family.
The traditional fireplace provides more comfort and beauty over heat output
- Open combustion system
- Older fireplaces are around 10-15% efficient (little amount of heat pushed throughout home)
- Modern fireplaces are very open for nice viewing area (some have even 3 to 4 glass doors!)
- Today's factory built fireplaces are typically zero clearance (Can be installed close proximity to wood framing)
- Remember, when installing in new construction, location of the fireplace takes planning to avoid issues such as smokey backdraft
Many homeowners are converting from traditional fireplaces to fireplace inserts due to their heating capacities
- Insulated, closed combustion system
- Today's fireplace inserts have efficiency ratings from 65% and above (Greater heat output = lower heating bills)
- Excellent economical way to heat your home
- Many styles feature fans and thermostatic controls that push heat throughout the homeowner
- When installing, the first factor to consider is the size of your existing fireplace opening
- Available in many fuel burning types and different appearance styles
Don't have a fireplace? Then a freestanding wood stove will work for you!
We understand that shopping and installing a new fireplace or insert is exciting and also a bit overwhelming. When questions arise, contact us, we're here to help. Happy Heating!
Back in July you gave me excellent advice re. sizing/purchasing a flue liner for the chimney associated with my wood stove. I'd like to thank you once agai... More
A few weeks ago I ordered a chimney liner system for my fireplace insert. Your salesman recommended the liner system plus the insulating blanket. I just wa... More
Just got around to installing my new smooth flexible liner and deluxe terra cotta cap (wow). The quality of your product is second to none. Very pleased an... More
Thanks so much for the great tech service from Dennis, very knowledgable, friendly and proffessional.Your website is the best, beats your competition by fa... More
Sue and Dennis, I received the final part of my order yesterday (the chimney cap that actually fits over the chimney chase). It looks wonderful! My fiancé... More